Thursday 26 September 2013

Let the Whirlwind Commence...

A very exciting and hectic time of the year is once again upon me. After a couple of so-called quiet summer months, I have packed my bags and am off around the globe on a non-stop retail real estate event tour, and as always I am very eager to get cracking.

I have very much enjoyed the summer months; some holiday time with the family has been excellent, and it has also allowed me the chance to recharge in preparation for the busy build up to Christmas. However, as the summer slowly disappears, there is the extra surge of adrenaline and the feeling of exhilaration as the travelling season clicks into gear.

I warmed up for the schedule ahead with a recent trip to the BCSC Annual Showcase with two of my colleagues. This year, for the first time, the event was held in London at the Olympia. The switch to London appeared to have had the desired effect as the event saw 2,500 delegates make their way to Kensington. The event also marked the launch of a major international retailer programme which targets brands that are not yet active in the UK market. To find out more about this event you can read the full RLI Review of the BCSC Annual Showcase in our October issue.

Back at the office, the finishing touches were applied to the October issue of RLI before I jumped on the plane to Mumbai. Thankfully I managed to get on the plane and get to India thanks to some last minute help regarding my visa!

This most recent RLI magazine sees several exciting features included, with the regular 'Voyager' section focusing on Central Eastern Europe this month, which examines the retail development activity in selected city markets. Other features include a look at Hamleys, as we talk to CEO Gudjon Reynisson about the remarkable international expansion drive they are currently in. Also in this issue, RLI have an in-depth look at a leading hotel management company, Onyx Hospitality Group, and speak to CEO Peter Henley about how they intend to expand after recent success. On top of all this we have an excellent RLI Special Feature on 'Retail in Stadia', which, with the 2014 World Cup in Brazil edging nearer and nearer, looks in-depth at the evolution of the relationship between retail and shopping in and around stadiums.


Now that the first leg of my travelling is nearly complete, having attended the Indian Retail Forum, I will return from India over the weekend. However, I will only be on British shores for a few days, and I can tell you now that those days will be hectic as we begin to put our bumper MAPIC issue together. It is now the last chance for anyone wishing to participate in our most sought-after issue of the year, our November issue, to get in touch. We are in all the delegate bags at MAPIC 2013 and on show at the World Retail Congress Latin America and World Retail Congress Africa events. If anyone is interested please contact the RLI team on +44 (0)1706 212200 or email me at jayne.rafter@rli.uk.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

Following the few days in the UK working on the MAPIC issue, I head off again on a trip that will see me take in three countries in just five days as I make my way from one event to another. First up is Paris for the World Retail Congress event, then Munich for Expo Real and then finally I will be in Dubai for Cityscape Global. It can be a gruelling schedule, but its more than worth it all for the fantastic networking opportunities in such a short space of time so I say bring it on.

Will be back soon; see you on my travels...

No comments:

Post a Comment